Although Sapo is completely safe when responsibly administered by a trained practitioner, there are a number of people with contraindications who cannot receive a Kambo treatment safely.
- People who are under 18 years of age.
- People who have serious heart problems.
- People who have had a stroke.
- People who are taking medication for low blood pressure.
- People who have had a brain haemorrhage.
- People who have aneurysms or blood clots.
- People who lack the mental capacity to make their own decision to take Kambo.
- People who have serious mental health problems (excluding depression, PTSD and anxiety)
- People who are undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
- People who are taking immune-suppressants for organ transplant.
- People with Addison’s disease.
- People with current and severe epilepsy.
- People who are recovering from a major surgical procedure.
- Women who are pregnant or suspect they may be so.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding babies under the age of 6 months old.
- People who have worked with Bufo Alvarius (toad medicine) in the last 6-8 weeks prior to Kambo.
This is not a complete comprehensive list. If you have any concerns or serious health issues, it’s important to disclose these prior to treatment to ensure that Kambo is suitable and safe for you to work with.
Extra caution is required in the following cases, It’s important to disclose any of these prior to treatment:
- People taking slimming, serotonin and/or sleeping supplements.
- People taking immune-suppressants for auto-immune disorders.
- People with active drug or alcohol addictions.
- People who have been fasting/water-fasting for 7 days before (or after) Kambo.
- People who have had enemas, colonics, liver flushes or any water based detox 3 days before (or after) taking Kambo.
- People who plan to use the sauna or practice hot yoga 3 days before (or after) Kambo.
It’s also important to disclose any of the following prior to treatment:
- If you’re taking or have recently stopped taking any medications.
- If you’re taking or have recently stopped taking any diet/slimming pills.
- If you’re regularly taking anti-diuretic medication or sports drinks.
- If you have ever been, or are currently bulimic or anorexic.
- If you’re epileptic.
- If you have abnormally high or low blood pressure.
- If you have liver or kidney problems.
- If you have any chronic or serious health issues.
- If you have asthma.
- If you have diabetes.
It’s helpful to note that if you’re menstruating at the time of your treatment, Kambo will most likely cause your flow to increase for 24 to 36 hours, due to it’s vasodilation properties.